We've changed our name: OTIS' non-profit service is now officially "MotherToBaby!"
Goals and Mission
MotherToBaby, a service of the non-profit Organization of Teratology Information Specialists, is dedicated to providing evidence-based information to mothers, health care professionals, and the general public about medications and other exposures during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. MotherToBaby affiliates support and contribute to worldwide initiatives for teratology education and research.
- Provide counseling to patients and health care professionals about exposures related to pregnancy and breastfeeding, so they can make informed treatment choices.
- Reduce risks and decrease the number of preventable birth defects by educating the public and health care providers about specific agents of concern.
- Empower patients with accurate information about the true risks of an exposure, thereby preventing unnecessary terminations of wanted pregnancies.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between affiliated services.
- Contribute collectively to research and the worldwide literature in the field of teratology.
Find an Affiliate
The flu shot given by injection is recommended in any trimester for women who will be pregnant during the flu season. See our FACTSHEET
It is unlikely that stress alone is able to cause physical birth defects. See our FACTSHEET.
Now you can get pregnancy and breastfeeding health tips from OTIS throughout the day! Join our network of Moms on Facebook & Twitter! Just search "OTIS Pregnancy."